Do the words “strategic planning” bring fear and loathing to you or your employees? Engaging in meaningless and tedious exercises to create a massive, but rarely used document is, sadly, the only experience some people have had with strategic planning. It doesn’t have to be this way!
Rather than a “one size fits all” model, Juli draws from her deep expertise to design a customized strategic planning process that exactly fits your organization’s culture, history and aspirations. Juli helps you create strategic plans that are no more and no less than what your organization needs. Her sessions are creative, focused and fun. Juli quickly develops rapport with both staff and leaders and is able to help groups develop plans that are balance the visionary and the realistic. She is also skilled at creating powerful visuals to convey the heart of your plan succinctly to clients, customers and employees.
A set of beliefs lies at the heart of Juli’s strategic planning work, including:
- The process of planning is at least as important as the resulting document.
- Board and staff roles in planning are different and need to be clear. Juli espouses the board governance model in which the Board’s role is to set clear targets for desired results and overall strategy and staff decide how to implement those strategies.
- A strategic plan that won’t gather dust outlines no more than 3-5 SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound) goals.
- Given the rate of change in today’s world, a vision for 5-10 years out is appropriate, but goals should focus on 1-3 years.
- Planning should include facts AND feelings, opinions and perceptions.
More on this here: Five Things I Believe About Strategic Planning .
- Help Boards and staff understand the big picture and agree on a small number of key priorities.
- Set SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound).
- Anticipate change and respond appropriately.
- Make collaborative decisions that everyone can support.